Company Name: Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
Details of Post :
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), a statutory body under the administrative control of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Govt. of India, is the National Standards Body of India and is responsible for activities in the field of Standardization, Product and System Certification, Hallmarking of Gold/Silver Jewellery, Laboratory Testing etc., in the country. BIS is also responsible for Standardization and Certification at the International level. BIS offers excellent career opportunities to bright, young dynamic persons for the post of Scientist-‘B’. These posts are in the Pay Scale of Rs. 15600-39100 + Grade Pay Rs.5400 plus allowances as applicable. The indicative gross salary as on date at New Delhi will be Rs. 52,280/-. For important Service Conditions refer to Annex 1.
1. No. of Posts: The total number of vacancies is 115, including backlog vacancies, in various disciplines as per details given below:-
Number of vacancies
Computer Engineering/ Computer Science
2. Reservation for persons with Disabilities:
Five vacancies which include two backlog vacancy shall be reserved, as follows, for Persons with Disabilities. The candidates having Orthopedically Handicapped (OH), Visually Impaired (VI) and Hearing Impaired (HI) shall be eligible to apply.
Type of Disabilities Number of vacancy
Orthopedically Handicapped (OH)
Visually Impaired (VI)
Hearing Impaired (HI)
For further details regarding all reservation refer to Annex 2.
3. ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Mechanical Engineering Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technology or equivalent with not less than 60% marks in aggregate (50% for SC/ST candidates).
Computer Engineering/ Computer Science
For further details refer to Annex 3.
4. AGE LIMIT: The candidates must be between 21-27 years of age as on 01.12.2013. Relaxation in upper age limit for SC/ST/OBC/PWD/Ex-Servicemen/ Meritorious Sports Persons/ Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women Judicially separated from Husbands/ Persons who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of J&K during the period from 1st January, 1980 to 31st December, 1989 shall be as per Central Government. The Relaxation in upper age limit for SC/ST candidates shall be 5 years; for OBC candidates shall be 3 years; for PWD (Gen) candidates shall be 10 years; for PWD(SC/ST) candidates shall be 15 years; for PWD(OBC) candidates shall be 13 years. The upper age limit for Departmental candidates serving in BIS is 50 years.
Age relaxation for Meritorious Sports persons:
The relaxation in upper age limit upto a maximum of 5 years (10 years for persons belonging to SC/ST Communities and 8 years for persons belonging to Other Backward Classes in respect of posts reserved for them) may be allowed to meritorious sportswomen/sportsmen in the field of Games/Sports recognized by the Government for such purpose provided they satisfy all other conditions prescribed by Government from time to time. The persons claiming age relaxation under this sub-para would be required to produce a certificate issued by the competent authority in the prescribed proforma. For others, age limit will be strictly adhered to save in exceptional circumstances, and in no case be relaxed beyond a limit of three years.
Age relaxation for Widows, Divorced Women and Women Judicially separated from Husbands:
The upper age limit is relaxable up to the age of 35 years (upto 40 years for members of Scheduled Castes/Schedules Tribes and upto 38 years for members belonging to the other Backward Classes in respect of the posts reserved for them ) for Widows, divorced Women and Women Judicially separated from their Husbands who are not remarried. The persons claiming age relaxation under this sub-para would be required to produce following documentary evidence.
(i) In case of Widow, Death Certificate of her husband together with the Affidavit that she has not remarried since.
(ii) In case of divorced Women and Women judicially separated from their husbands, a certified copy of the judgment/decree of the appropriate Court to prove the fact of divorce or the judicial separation, as the case may be, with an Affidavit in respect of divorced Women and they have not remarried since.
Age relaxation to persons who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of J&K during the period from 1st January, 1980 to 31st December, 1989:
The relaxation in upper age limit of 5 years shall be admissible to all persons who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of J&K during the period from 01st January, 1980 to 31st December, 1989. The persons claiming relaxation under this sub-para would be required to produce a certificate to this effect from the District Magistrate within whose jurisdiction they had ordinarily resided or from any other authority designated in this behalf by the Government of Jammu and Kashmir. This relaxation shall remain in force upto 31.12.2013.
Age relaxation for Ex-Servicemen
(i) upto a maximum of three years in the case of Defence Services personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof.
(ii) upto a maximum of five years in the case of Ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 01.12.2013 and have been released
(a) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within six month) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or
(b) on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service, or
(c) on invalidment.
(iii) Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years Military Service as on 01.12.2013 and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and that they will be released on three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
Note I: The term Ex-Servicemen will apply to the persons who are defined as ex-servicemen in the Ex-Servicemen (Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts) Rules, 1979, as amended from time to time.
Note II: The age concession under para (ii) & (iii) above will not be admissible to Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs who are released on own request.
NOTE III: Candidates seeking age relaxation will be required to submit copies of necessary certificate(s) at the time of Interview and at any subsequent stage of the recruitment process as required by BIS.
5. SELECTION PROCEDURE: Eligible candidates will be required to appear in an online examination at their own expenses. The tentative list of examination centers is at Annex 4. Candidates short-listed will be interviewed for which traveling expenses upto second class train fare for to-and-fro journeys from normal place of residence by shortest route shall be payable. Candidates who have been shortlisted in the online examination will subsequently be called for an Interview. The Interview centre, address of the venue, time & date of Interview will be informed to the shortlisted candidates in the call letter. Candidates are required to download their interview call letters from authorised BIS website www.bis.org.in.
For further details regarding online examination refer Annex 5.
6. HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are required to apply On-Line from 06.12.2013 to 24.12.2013 through BIS website www.bis.org.in. No other means/mode of submission of applications will be accepted under any circumstances. For further details refer to Annex 6.
7. PAYMENT OF APPLICATION FEES: The Application Fees/ Intimation Charges [Payable from 06.12.2013 to 24.12.2013 (only through Online payment mode) both dates inclusive] is Rs. 750/- and is Non-Refundable. No fees is required to be paid by SC/ST/ Ex-Serviceman/ PWD/Women Candidates. Bank Transaction charges, if any, for Online Payment of application fees/ intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate.
8. The tentative schedule of events is as follows:
Events Da Tentative Dates
Online Registration 06.12.2013 to 24.12.2013
Payment of Application Fees- Online 06.12.2013 to 24.12.2013
Download of Call letter for Online Exam After 08.01.2014
Online Exam 19.01.2014
Declaration of result January 2014
Download of call letters for Interview February 2014
Conduct of Interview & Declaration of Result February/ March 2014
Issue of Provisional Offer of Appointment March 2014
Candidates are advised to regularly keep in touch with the authorised BIS website www.bis.org.in for details and updates.
9. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: Refer Annex 7 for details.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: All further announcements/ details pertaining to this process will only be published/ provided on BIS website www.bis.org.in from time to time.
Secretary & Head (HRD)
Important dates to remember :
Last date to apply : 24/12/2013
How to Apply: